Each year at Thanksgiving, my family stands around the dining room table and we go around the circle sharing one thing we are thankful for this year. We FaceTime our extended family and this year we will have 21 people sharing in the goodness and gratefulness of all God has done to bring blessings to our lives.
I love this tradition. The youngest ones get squirmy as they stare down the turkey with drool dribbling down their chins. Inevitably someone will cry. One or two will try to make a joke to bring light to the room and the laughter can be minimal in response to the corniness. A teenager usually struggles to think of the thing they are thankful for and we awkwardly twiddle our thumbs until they come up with an amazing answer that is well worth the wait.
In a world where it is easy to make a list of all the things that have gone wrong in the last year, what’s on your list of the things God has given you? Here’s a non-exhaustive list of the things I am grateful for in Kidz Ministries this year:
- Chad Kuhn and Cindy Bowman. These two volunteers allow me the space to listen to a sermon once a month and it is wonderful to know I can always depend on their support.
- We have 9 Quizzers this year and a patient parent group who have been kind and supportive as we pave the way for Quizzing on the NWO District.
- We have a full nursery volunteer schedule! I can’t remember the last time we had each week accounted for and our nursery Lead, Dana Murphy, wasn’t serving 3-5 times a month. It is amazing knowing our littlest ones are loved and cared for.
- 300 kids, 700 people, and 25 trunks participated in this year’s Trunk or Treat event where we integrated faith on a larger scale than ever before. I give all the glory to God for making this event wonderful and for helping me to see the value of all the effort that went into it this year.
- Venisa Robinson, Elaine Wivell, Hannah Walker, and Molly Tennant have served faithfully this year. While we could use two more servers in Wee Worship, I am beyond grateful to know that these women will cover it until we find more.
- The church could have chosen judgment and rejection in July; however, that is not the answer they gave. Instead, they loved me so well that I can say with certainty my faith and my calling has not waivered. The church board continues to support me by granting a 3 week leave December 16th – January 7th.
- Kolin, Victoria, and Dhalaynie all gave their hearts to the Lord this year through participation in our baptism service! I am beyond thankful to be a part of their journey through salvation and cannot wait to see what God chooses to do in and through their lives.
1 Chronicles 16:34
Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good;
his love endures forever.